Saturday, July 18, 2009

Dashboard gone
Dashboard removed

Removed heater core
Being a glutton for punishment, I decided that the next thing to do would be to replace the heater core with an electric element, as there will be a severe lack of hot water in the car after the conversion. I sourced a 120 VAC ceramic heating element from a guy in the USA who sells them to EVers in Australia.
The removal of the dashboard took about 4 hours and is possibly the worst part of the whole job. Without the manual I think it would have taken 8 hours. The most dangerous part of the operation was removing the air bag. Apparently they can go off with very little provocation, hmmm very similar to a woman. Next is removal of the steering wheel using a steering wheel puller, $20 from Supercheap Auto. The instrument panel was removed and I noticed that the front panel was cracked. It looks like a trip to the wreckers for a replacement.
While I was disconnecting some of the wiring connectors I noticed a non standard unit wired into the ignition wiring. It turns out it was an aftermarket engine immobiliser and remote keyless entry. The wiring was very poorly done with wires cut and twisted, no connectors and no solder. As I didn't get the remote control when I bought the car I removed the unit and restored the wiring to original. Finally after removing the dash & the aircon unit I got to remove the heater unit. The heater core will have to be modified to allow the mounting of the electric element into the old core frame.
I sold the old engine on Ebay this week. I listed it last week and it sold for $1.50. It turned out the guy who bought it didn't check where the engine was. He was in Adelaide and I am in Brisbane - go figure. Anyway he defaulted, I relisted and sold it for $100 to a local. He also took a lot of the other bits I didn't need, so I won't have to dump them.



1 comment:

  1. Hi,

    Can you help me open the instrument panel? I need to change one of the speedo bulbs. I could open all the screws and start pulling out the cluster, but with so many stuffs stuck behind, no way to pull this out without breaking something.
    Ho do I detach the wires and all

    ReplyDelete