Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Well here goes nothing


The conversion of a 1998 Mazda 121 automatic hatchback to a plug in electric vehicle has officially started.


I bought the donor vehicle last weekend had it weighed, measured the ground clearance on each wheel and put her up on stands so I can start work removing all of the bad stuff. Engine, fuel tank etc.
I have ordered the workshop manual so I will wait till it arrives before proceeding. It still has a nearly full fuel tank so 1st thing to do is to syphon it out before removing the tank. I have to be carefull here as it would be very embarassing to set the car on fire under my wooden house. It turns out I have to lift the rear seat, remove an inspection plate, remove the fuel pump connector, start the car and wait till the engine stops to release the pressure in the tank. I can then remove the fuel pump from the tank and siphon the fuel out. This is going to have to wait for the weekend. What happened to the good old days when you could just bung a bit of garden hose down the filler pipe, a quick suck, lots of choking and out comes the fuel.
The plan for the car so far is
Netgain Impulse 9 DC motor - on order
45 off Thundersky 90 AH Liffepo4 batteries
everything else is still flexible


No comments:

Post a Comment