Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Yet another long weekend spent working on the car. My wife will be very happy when I finish this project.

The new handbrake cable was fitted and adjusted. Wired the motor speed sensor to the controller and fit a cover to the controller bus bar connections.

The heater is controlled by a solid state relay which I operate from an illuminated switch mounted on a blank plate where the ash tray used to be. It produces a decent amount of heat and I think you could use it to heat the vehicle as well as demist, although it uses a lot of power.

I got to use my new MIG welder to make the battery hold down bracket. MIG really makes welding simple.

I had a final read of the NCOP14 regs to see if I missed anything and it turns out I did. I forgot about the requirement to disable the vehicle while its plugged into a power point. I haven't run any cables from the fuel flap for a switch. However the charger does output 12vdc onto 2 of its control terminals while its powered up. I will use this to operate a relay which will isolate the 12v feed to the contactors. The relay will also drive an input into the BMS master to start the charge cycle.

There is also a clause in the regs about having an audible and visual alarm if the brake vacuum is low. I am not sure what other people have done with this, so I might see if I can get away without it for the moment. It's a bit stupid as there is no requirement for this in the original vehicle.

I drove the car down to the AEVA meeting last week and it was well accepted. I found out when I got there that one headlight (connector disconnected) and both tail lights were out (blown fuse). The automatic worked very well and I was able to drive very slowly into the hall under perfect control. The controller has really good low speed control due to its current feedback loop.

I will be ready for the engineers inspection later this week so fingers are crossed. The final thing before registration will be replacing the windscreen as it was cracked when I bought the car.

No comments:

Post a Comment